(New Exclusive Interview) RNB Singer ORA Talks New Single And Creating Music
1. ORA, how long have you been creating music and what made you want to start creating music?
I’ve been a musician my whole life. I grew up playing various instruments including the violin, cello and piano. I wrote my first song and made a video clip in high school. It was probably pretty terrible, but I loved the process. I got into production in the last year after being frustrated with paying producers who just couldn’t create the sound I had in mind, or didn’t seem as invested in the sound as I was.
2. ORA, you have a real “Soulful” sound. may we ask where does that come from and breakdown your style?
Growing up I listened to a lot of rap and RnB. Some of my favorite singers were Brandy, Aretha Franklin, Aaliyah… I probably listened to Jay-Z more than any other artist though. I also studied classical music and a bit of jazz.
3. ORA, you just dropped a single called “In The Shower.” What is the concept behind this record?
I didn’t really think too much about the concept when I was creating it. I was listening to the beat and adding in chords and the synth… the vibe of those things inspired the lyrics. I majored in Songwriting in college where you are taught to analyze every step of the writing process, but a lot of of that went out the window with this track.
4. ORA, how long did it take you to write “In The Shower” and what inspired you to create this record?
It took a few months to polish the track, mostly because I am new to production. An “expert” could have done it much quicker. I wrote the lyrics as I was writing the track. The hook came immediately though, and at first I though maybe it was a bit too “risqué”.
5. ORA, you also produced the track as well as sung on the record. How long have you been making beats?
This is my first produced track.. I’ve been playing around with Logic for about a year now.
6. ORA, What was the hardest thing in life you had to overcome and how did you overcome it?
Heartbreak, abandonment, betrayal in various forms. I find awareness through meditation and nature. My devotion to music, particularly piano has given me clarity when I have been unsure of the next step. It is important to have a lighthouse, and also to be a lighthouse for others. Music has been a lighthouse for me.
7. ORA, where do you see your brand and career in the next 5 years?
I plan to continue to produce and write music. I hope to collaborate with and be inspired by great creators. I love to learn.