Montreal based singer/songwriter Chaz DeFranco presents his brand new single “Better Off/New Girl,” a freestanding preamble to his upcoming EP. Chaz’s unique vocals grace the IGNORVNCE produced track as he tells a two-part tale of leaving a relationship and moving on to better things. Chaz is currently in the studio working on his sophomore EP featuring production from Boi-1da’s protégé, SkySense among others.
1) What keeps you motivate when it comes to your music?
Recognition. I mean I’ve been working hard as hell ever since the first EP came out. On top of being the artist, I’m my own graphic designer, my own manager, my own publisher and I’m also doing my own marketing – everything from social media management, building press kits to sending press releases to blogs such as yours. It’s a lot of work, but I can allow myself to do other things now since I’ve recorded so many songs lately. I mean this one is just the tip of the iceberg. I got some pop records, I got some straight r&b records, some more hip hop records and some dope collabs coming soon too.
2) When you think of “Vintage Media Group”, what comes to mind?
Dope music. Dope kicks. And some entertaining videos too.
3) Being that you are from Montreal, Canada what is the state of Hip-Hop there? How would you titled your style of music?
Two years ago it felt like nothing was happening but now it’s changing. There’s a few guys I try to keep track of, WASIU is one of them. Everything he drops is fire. Young Mic too, he has some cool records out. And as far as my style of music goes, I’ve been going back and forth every since I released my first song trying to label it, but I finally figured out something that encompasses everything that I do, urban contemporary.
4) With your most recent single “Better Off / New Girl” is FRESH, can you give us some details on how you came up with that song?
I wrote that song after I heard Often by The Weeknd. That song was my shit for the biggest part of last summer – I could relate to it on so many levels. I tried to recreate the vibe of the song and the catchyness of the hook, while telling something that happened to me. Of course, I’m far from having The Weeknd’s voice but I’m cool with that, I’ve got my own voice and my own thing going here.
– Official website : www.chazdefranco.com
– Facebook : www.facebook.com/chazdefranco
– Soundcloud : www.soundcloud.com/chazdefranco
– Instagram : www.instagram.com/chazdefranco
– Twitter : www.twitter.com/chazdefranco